Castillo de los Velasco dates back to the 14th century where it appears in 1397 as part of the dowry of Maria Alonso de Porres in her marriage to Diego Sanchez de Velasco the favourite nephew of the Constable of Castille. This places the construction of the Tower around 1350 although the barbican was added in the 15th century. The castle was permanently inhabited until the Spanish Civil War when it was given over to house animals and store grain. The renovation commenced at the beginning of this present 21st century and in 2006 the Castle received its first award, a bronze medal of the Spanish Association for the Preservation of Castles, even though the interior restoration had barely begun. In 2010 the castle was returned to life and was inhabited once again.
Castillo de los Velasco is situated in the village of Lezana, in the heart of the idyllic Valley of Mena: this is the first Spanish town to be awarded the title of "Star Park" by UNESCO. You will find the unpolluted haven in the north east corner of the province of Burgos next to the spring that becomes the river Cadagua and at a mere league from Taranco where the Word "Castilla" is recorded for the very first time and only half a league away from the Romanic churches of Siones and Vallejo next to Sierra Salvada, also known as Sierra Magdalena and only 50Kms. of highway from Bilbao.
Situated in 22,000 square metres of gardens, with fruit trees, a stream a copse with three century old oaks and a large pond. The construction is 600 square metres and there is 100 m² of roof terrace.
It is considered one of the most interesting and best kept castles of Castille and Leon because of its size and complexity and has been declared a Building of Cultural Interest and absolved of the payment of taxes. The original structure has been maintained with pillars and beams of solid oak, some of which are 12m long and in one piece. It has a small courtyard surrounded by an elevated walkway and a drawbridge but in spite of being a 14th century construction it can boast some of the latest advances in building techniques.
- - Central heating, hot water and heated swimming pool with geothermal technology with a 70% saving when compared to diesel fuel.
- - All the plumbing has been carried out with polybutilene pipes and fittings.
- - The hot air radiators have been purpose-built with the latest technology – many of them installed in the floor with silent fans.
- - A lift with four stops.
- - Double glazing.
- - Centralized vacuum cleaning system.
- - Satellite telephone system with Wi-Fi, TV in all rooms and motion detectors in communal areas
- - Five open hearths and three of them have inserted cassettes with hot air impellers with insulated stainless steel flues.
- - Beams and stairway are of solid oak and the floors are of oak, chestnut and northern pine.
- - Only top quality materials have been used in the restoration of the castle.
- -The heated pool is a solid Stone construction with a wave creator and spa-type jets.
- - The Castle has six bed chambers each with on suite bathrooms and two of them have walk-in wardrobes. There are three toilets, a library, a large refectory, public rooms and a kitchen./li>